Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Ode to Tacoma

When we first met, I was really hesitant to commit. You were new. You were scary. I wasn't over my last relationship; Bellingham was still flirting with me and I thought I might want to get back together. But I jumped in with you, inwardly kicking and screaming, and I know we had a rocky start. You were ready to build a life, and I just couldn't go there. Not yet. I always had my eyes elsewhere, wondering what it would be like to venture back to what was comfortable. I wanted to dump you. I wanted to dump you HARD. Drive away and never look back and yell, "It's NOT me, it's YOU!" on my way out. 

But you waited. So patiently. So patiently and gently and lovingly. And once I realized my fears were all in my head, and I could let go of my hesitations and go all-in, we entered into one of the greatest love affairs this life has ever seen. Tacoma, you loved me so well. You loved me when I didn't love you. You gave me some of the best people and best relationships I've ever been blessed to have. You provided sunshine on the cloudiest days (and in the literal sense, plenty of clouds on even the sunniest days...) 

I am a different me today than I was when our union began, and I like this me a lot better. You changed me. You made me grow. You helped me blossom. You gave me a soft place to land when life's first real adult struggles threatened to knock me down. And there will never be enough words to do you justice. I don't even know how to try. 

As I sit here on this rainy Tuesday, salty tear streaks not quite dry from the last of my impossible goodbyes with your beautiful inhabitants, my friends, my family, all I can think is THANK YOU. Thank you for your love. Thank you for being so good to me. Thank you for being my home. This isn't goodbye forever. I'll be back often. Consider this the start of our long-distance relationship. 

I'll always love you. And as I drive away now, please know:
... it's not you. It's me. 


With love and gratitude,

Andie.

No comments:

Post a Comment