Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Same Love.

All day today I have seen this symbol.


You probably have too.  And every time I saw it, I sighed a little happy, hopeful sigh.  Thinking, "There's another person who believes in love and equality."  It was so lovely and refreshing.  If you're confused and didn't see this everywhere today, then head on over to the Human Rights Campaign website to find out more.   

And then I got in my car after work just in time to hear the top three most-requested songs of the day on one of my favorite Seattle radio stations, 107.7 The End.  #3 was fun and catchy.  Even catchy enough for me to Shazam it!  "If So," by Atlas Genius.  I like.  #2 was Imagine Dragons.  Also a fan of them.  So I was feeling good about the people of Seattle.  Then the DJ cut to a commercial after an oh-so-clever cliffhanger: "Breezeblocks by Alt-J was our #1 most requested song of the day yesterday... can they do it again?"  Being that I have been DIGGIN' Alt-J lately, the DJ had me right where he wanted me.  I'm going to listen to those commercials to see if they in fact CAN do it again.  So I waited.  But Alt-J didn't do it again.  And I wanted to cry.  

HOLD IT, you weirdos.  It wasn't that I was sad about the Alt-J song.  Who do you think I am?  Those crying-for-no-reason days are over for me (HAHAHAHAHA not true.  But today wasn't one of them).

The reason I wanted to cry (and did a little - so sue me!) is because the #1 most requested song of the day was this.  "Same Love" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.  A song about love.  And freedom.  And equal rights.  And on this love-filled Spring day, that was perfect.  And I felt GREAT about the people of Seattle.

Because I want people to be dancing their BUMS off to Alt-J and Imagine Dragons and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis at the weddings of my friends, my cousin, my dear friend's uncles, and YOUR friends, and YOUR cousins, and YOUR uncles.  

"No freedom 'til we're equal.  Damn right I support it."

Today's jam: DUH.

Love, love, love, my friends.

1 comment: