Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sometimes you gotta.

I'm sick today.  Blegh.  Fever last night, congested, aches, the works.  That ain't right!  But sometimes when I'm sick and miss work I get it in my head that I have to be all melancholy and down in the dumps and kind of sad all day to go along with the sickness and somehow make it more acceptable that I'm missing work/school/whatever my responsibilities are.  Do you know what I mean?  Does that ever happen to you?  Like, if you're going to miss work you better not have a good day.  You know?

Anyway.  That's messed up!  I'm already feeling under the weather*, so why should I have to feel worse by forcing myself to also be sad and lonely and upset over the fact that I feel pukey?  So tonight, after a full day of laying on my couch and watching Full House and Boy Meets World and frowning because I felt like I shouldn't be allowed to enjoy a sick day, I finally had enough.  Partially because I found myself watching Snooki & JWoww, and that was the last straw.  And also because I was about to dig into my Easter basket which made me homesick for this past weekend of family, friends, sunshine, reunions, the Easter Bunny, and the best travel companions in all the land.  And after talking to my dad on the phone tonight and receiving this text from him yesterday:


... my homesickness was rampant.  And on the way out to my car to grab my Easter basket that I forgot to bring in, I noticed the sky was AMAZING.  So I thought, "Rather than go to town on this basket, I'm going to go watch the sunset and get a $1 vanilla cone from McDonald's."  And even better, I decided to call one of my very favorite humans on the planet, my dear friend Megan, who joined me on this adventure!  It was perfect.  We got to catch up after a longish period of time apart, enjoy the beautiful evening, and eat our delicious and deliciously cheap treats.  And even though I still feel sicky wickets, I had the epiphany that I don't have to be SAD about it.  And that led to the epiphany that I do that ALL THE TIME!  If I feel like I should have some reason to be upset and BLAH about something, even if I can't think of what that reason really is, I still let it get to me and drag me down.  I'm going to work on that.  

And if you can relate to this issue, and are interested in my advice, it's this:  

When in doubt, GET THE HELL OUT.  

Change your surroundings.  New scenery.  Get off your bum.  Change the channel.  Take a lap.  Take a shower (that really works).  Just get outta there!  Wherever "there" may be!  Trust me on this.  

I highly recommend a long drive with a good friend and $1 McDonald's vanilla cones.  Thanks for bein (the BEST) part of my scenery change Meg :)

Today's jam:  "Royals" by Lorde

Laters on the menjay!
Name that movie!  5 house points for the winner.  Don't let me down Gryffindors.
  
*Weird phrase, huh?  I looked it up and one source says it comes from sailors in the olden days.  When one of them wasn't feeling well, they would go downstairs under the deck and away from the weather until they felt better.  Now we know!  Do you think that's really it?

2 comments:

  1. I really loved this post (: your posts always seem to meet me right where I'm at. So thank you Andie!

    Oh, and the movie, I think it is I Love You, Man. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, you nailed it! Five points for Ravenclaw! I bet that's your house... :) And thanks for your kind words, sweet girl! You're the best.

      Delete